The process of making this video was quite an enlightening one.
In many countries, natives often asks to take pictures with foreigners because
- They probably have been growing up around people who look like them their entire lives.
- Foreigners are exotic.
- They think that foreigners are audacious because they are traveling in a country which mother tongue is different from theirs.
- They think foreigners are “rich”.
- They admire foreigners because they can speak in a different language than them.
Is this norm of natives taking pictures with foreigners a harmless one?
- Some foreign looking natives (in this case, a person who looks foreign but is a chinese citizen) might feel like they never fit in because of the way they look and always approached like an outsider or given special treatment.
- Some natives might feel foreign looking people get better treatment and are even looked up to.
Is this a cultural thing?
Does this affect equality in race?